Places To Meet the Guy (or Girl!) of Your Dreams
Tired of spending every weekend gripping a bottle of light beer, meeting the same people in different clothes, and listening to the same jokes? Ever wonder where all the “good ones” are hiding?
Most of us think we’ll never meet somebody great in a bar, but for lack of better alternatives, we continue to go anyway. We all know we’re much more likely to meet that smarmy loser who introduces himself with, “So, are we gonna get naked, or what?” than the guy or girl of our dreams.
That said, there are lots of great non-bar places to meet someone fabulous, and many of them have little or no competition.
- The driving range: Spend the afternoon in the sun with a bucket of balls. These places are always overpopulated with men, and they go gaga over women who can swing a crooked stick.
- Outdoor food and music festivals: Any event where there’s a band and vendors selling those gigantic Fred Flintstone turkey legs (or some other meat-on-a-stick) is a good bet. You’re laughing, but it’s true.
- DSW (or any other gigantic shoe warehouse.)
- These places are crawling with women, especially on early Friday evenings and Saturdays. Just ask the nearest unattached female to help you pick out a new pair of shoes. See where it goes from there.
- Book clubs: Women love to read, and there are usually very few men in attendance. A great pick if you’re interested in dating someone with a brain.
- FastDating: It’s hilarious, you can do it with your friends, and it’s loads of fun. Like musical chairs for grownups.
- Somebody else’s company picnic: Pair up with another single pal and survey his/her company’s assets. These events are social, and as an added bonus, you know everybody there is employed. Your insider buddy can act as your tour guide to help you to avoid the guy who sticks paperclips up his nose, or the woman with the 59 cats.
- Volunteer work: There are volunteer groups just for singles. You help make the world a better place, and meet a lot of like-minded eligibles. If there are no singles volunteer groups in your area, check out Habitat for Humanity. It’s a great way to meet people, and you get to spend the day in the sunshine using power tools. Yippee!
- Vacation: Hit someplace cheap and sunny. (Mexico springs to mind.) That fabulous combination of sand and margaritas can be the perfect recipe for love. Go with as many same-sex friends as you can squeeze into a hotel room, and have a ball.
- Internet Dating: Just browse ’till you click. My sister-in-law met her darling husband this way. Remember though, be smart, be cautious, and keep yourself safe.
More great places to meet “The One”
- Atlantic City or Vegas (ladies- hit the blackjack tables, guys- scope out the slots.)
- The beach. Any beach.
- Parties, once removed. (Parties where you know a few people, but that are outside your normal group of friends)
- Team-building conferences.
- Whitewater rafting.
- Bike races.
- Outdoor concerts and festivals.
- Work-related shindigs.
- College classes or adult education classes.
- Music store.
- Outdoor sporting events – especially baseball.
There’s nothing quite as sweet as a summer romance, so get out there, be brave and try something new. You’ll probably have a great time and you’ll never know who you might meet.
Leave a Comment